Thursday, September 25, 2008

Don't Know Obama Is Christian

The headline of the Pew Research “daily number” reads:

46% - Don't Know Obama is Christian

Of course, the story that follows is all about the fact that a lot of people don’t know what “he whose middle name must not be spoken” says he is. But I’m not sure I know that Obama is a Christian. He is a politician, after all, and I tend not to believe them.

From every indication - his home church, his ministers, and everything that he says about Christianity - Obama is a follower of liberation theology. Not everything that has ‘theology’ in the name is Christian, and this one is a perfect example of that.

That is not to say that all the other politicians who claim to be Christians in fact are. And I realize that coming to the conclusion I just have is completely forbidden in our culture. Call me skeptical, but just because someone claims something, even - and especially - in religion does not require that I accept it at face value.

Is it not at least of passing interest that everyone wants to make sure we know that Obama is a ‘Christian.’ But whenever our buddy-ette Sarah Palin is connected in some way to Christianity, hands fly up in horror.

“Don’t know” can mean different things in common speech. Sometimes it means “I’m fairly certain this is not the case.” In that case, I’m one of the 46%.

No comments: