Wednesday, September 22, 2010

‘Absorb’ this, Mr. President . . .


It is everywhere today:  Obama’s statement, “We can absorb a terrorist attack. We'll do everything we can to prevent it, but even a 9/11, even the biggest attack ever . . . we absorbed it and we are stronger.”  It has been the subject of much comment, so I hope I am not repeating what someone else has already said.

I wonder if Mr. Obama’s idea of “absorbing” a terrorist attack includes his wife and two daughters – I just wonder.  My wild guess is that he would do whatever was necessary to make sure that they did not “absorb” any such attack.

Interesting, then, is it not, that he seems willing to let other people “absorb” such an attack?

On 9/11/01 the one hijacked plane that was brought down by the passengers was thought by many to be heading for the White House.  Should something like that come up again, and Obama’s family is not jetting around the world somewhere, perhaps the Obama family would be willing to help “absorb” a terrorist attack.

Like Mr. Obama, I would hope we would do everything we can to prevent such an attack.  But should Mr. Obama and his family happen to be required to “absorb” an attack, would we then be stronger?

I don’t mean to sound remote, uncaring, elitist, or in any way “better than you peons.”  I’m just wondering.

No comments: